The selection of research papers and empirical studies below indicate a biopsychosocial connection and direct link between emotions, stress, stressful life events, traumas, beliefs, socioeconomic parameters and illness; and they demonstrate the power of lifestyle medicine and comprehensive lifestyle and habit improvements.
Our mission is to motivate and educate doctors and health professionals in traditional and complimentary health care to be trained accordingly and be able to integrate the newest research in biopsychosocial root-causes analysis & health coaching techniques & protocols in a practical way into their practices.
Lifestyle Medicine – Research
Here’s a small selection of research studies showing how our lifestyle habits affect our symptoms.
Lifestyle and Preventive Medicine
- Dr. Dean Ornish, considered the grandfather of Lifestyle Medicine, and his Preventive Medicine Research Institute could demonstrate in double-blind studies the direct relationship between lifestyle modifications (nutrition, stress management, fitness, social support) and diseases and our body’s ability to stop and reverse up to 80% of chronic health issues. Here are some of their findings:
- Evidence Overwhelmingly Supports Efficacy of Lifestyle Medicine
Excellent resource of research with extensive research links covering cancer, erectile dysfunction, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, pain and weight management.
Emotions and Health related Research
- List of research projects related to emotions and their affect on our body
- Energy Psychology Research
- Human Emotions on the Onset of Cardiovascular and Small Vessel Related Diseases.
- Differences in anxiety among patients with early- versus late-onset Alzheimer’s disease.
- Brain activity linking negative emotions to a lower immune response against disease (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1534743100).
- Depressed elderly people have fewer lymphocytes and T-cells – white blood cells crucial for fighting disease. Published in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics (vol 72, p 253)
Traumatic Events, Stress & Social Research Studies
- Life Event, Stress and Illness
- Pain and Emotions: A Psychosocial Review of Current Research
- 75 to 90 percent of visits to primary care doctors may be related to stress, only 3 percent receive stress management
- Stressful life events, personality, and health: An inquiry into hardiness.
- Stress and the Individual Mechanisms Leading to Disease
- Stressful life events: Their nature and effects
- Prospective Study on Occupational Stress and Risk of Stroke
- Life events, stress, and illness
- Relationship of daily hassles, uplifts, and major life events to health status
- Comparison of two modes of stress measurement: Daily hassles and uplifts versus major life events
- Influence of Life Stress on Depression: Moderation by a Polymorphism in the 5-HTT Gene
- The Somatic Symptom Scale (SSS-8) A Brief Measure of Somatic Symptom Burden
- Improving Physicians’ Interviewing Skills and Reducing Patients’ Emotional Distress
- Dr. Hamer research into the connection between traumatic events and cancer
- The Brain-Embryology Connection and natural laws of health, Dr. Hamer 1972
- Journal of Psychosomatic Research
Extensive multidisciplinary research covering all aspects of the relationships between psychology and medicine.
Writing Lifestyle Prescriptions® -Research
Over the last decade there’s been increased awareness about the need to provide options to clients and add lifestyle based prescriptions to increase compliance and health outcomes.
* To clarify, Lifestyle Prescriptions® is the exclusive worldwide trademark of Lifestyle Prescriptions University and can only be used after completing a course or training and being approved by Lifestyle Prescriptions University
Lifestyle Prescriptions® practitioner are focusing on all 6 Root-Causes which include stress management, emotions, beliefs, social stressors and lifestyle habits like nutrition/food, exercise, sleep.
Other non-trademarked names used are:
- Green Prescriptions (prescribing exercise)
- Healthy Prescription (mostly focusing on healthy foods)
- Social prescriptions (focused on social lifestyle improvements)
- Nature prescriptions (like walking in nature, etc.)
- Nutrition Prescriptions (food and diet based)
Research showing the efficacy of prescriptions lifestyle includes:
- Making sense of social prescribing
UK doctors use social prescribing
- Lifestyle Medicine: A Primary Care Perspective
Collaborating with patients and families to develop action plans such as lifestyle prescriptions, practicing and promoting healthy behaviors, and drawing on an interdisciplinary team of care providers.
- Lifestyle Prescriptions for Physical Activity: A Review of the Clinical Evidence
- Prescribing healthy food
Prescribing healthy foods could bring cost-effective benefits
- Green Prescription (Ministry of Health New Zealand)
Green Prescription research shows that a Green Prescription (GRx) is an inexpensive way of increasing activity for sedentary people.
- The Long-Term Effectiveness of the New Zealand Green Prescription Primary Health Care Intervention
Dissertation research showing an increase in health benefit awareness, self-reported health benefits and overall increase in physical activity
- Green Prescriptions and Their Co-Benefits:
Integrative Strategies for Public and Environmental Health
- Nutrition Prescriptions
Nutrition prescriptions are one way for physicians and other health care providers to outline a healthy, balanced eating plan for patients.
- Making sense of social prescribing
Root-Cause Health Coaching – Research
Over the last years, Lifestyle Prescriptions® University has started to demonstrate the efficacy of root-cause health coaching which is rooted in Organ-Mind-Brain Anatomy.
Lifestyle Prescriptions® Health Coaches use a 10-Step Root-Cause Analysis Process to elicit the specific stressors, emotions, beliefs & lifestyle habits affecting symptoms followed by root-cause based health coaching techniques & protocols to help clients auto-regulate and thrive.
Here’s a list of completed and ongoing projects:
1) Lifestyle Prescriptions® University Specialists and Faculty Members are working on demonstrating and verifying that specific stressors & emotions affect specific organ tissue symptoms based on the Art and Science of Self-Healing, Organ-Mind-Brain Anatomy and the Major Points and Phases of Self-Healing
- Aisling Killoran, Lifestyle Prescriptions® Infertility Health Coach Specialist – The Effect Of Emotions and Stress On Fertility
Aisling could demonstrated statistically significant 67% improvements in health outcomes by using Lifestyle Prescriptions® Root-Cause Analysis & Health Coaching. In her specialist study, out of the six women, four who were medically diagnosed with unexplained infertility and were trying to become pregnant for over two years, are now pregnant.
- Jane Oelke, ND, PhD, LPHCS – Beliefs Affecting Chronic Pain Responses
This study was created for the objectives to study belief patterns and their relationship to the location of chronic pain. Thought-provoking associations between the top two belief patterns, the level of pain, and the symptoms that make it worse were found. The beliefs that “I am not strong enough” and “I have too many responsibilities.” correlate to the ability to control situations and the ability to deal with chronic pain.
- Cindy Hubka, LPHCS – The Effects of Emotions on Hormones
Cindy was able to coach eight women between the ages of 55 years and 70 years to decrease or eliminate their symptoms of hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia using Lifestyle Prescriptions® Root Cause Analysis Health Coaching.
25% of the women had their symptoms eliminated
75% felt their symptoms were at a level that each could deal with easily on their own with non-medication tools they had learned throughout the sessions.
- John Rhodes, Lifestyle Prescriptions® Asthma Specialist
In a small research study John could show the following results using Lifestyle Prescriptions® Root-Cause Analysis & Self-Healing Protocols:
40% of participants were able to stop using asthma medication altogether (confirmed by their GP).
80% of participants had Final Peak Flow measurements corroborate their breathing improvement.
2) Lifestyle Prescriptions® Health Coaches and Specialists have demonstrated and documented over 1,000 client cases (in partnership with Lifestyle Prescriptions® University and the non-profit Lifestyle Medicine University Foundation)
3) Lifestyle Prescriptions® University collaborates with its graduates in establishing and updating evidence-based reference materials and empirical data in the Organ-Mind-Brain Anatomy (via charts and searchable online directory) which lists 150+ organ tissue with 2,000+ symptoms including their bio-psycho-social relationships, root-causes and points & phases of self-healing.
The science is compelling.
Our true challenge is to train health professionals to integrate Lifestyle Medicine and Root-Cause Health Coaching in health care providing options to clients for chronic symptoms … and that’s exactly what Lifestyle Prescriptions® University is focusing on.
Learn more about how to integrate cutting-edge Lifestyle Medicine Root-Cause Analysis & Health Coaching Protocols into your practice by downloading the STARTERKIT at LifestylePrescriptions.TV
By Yuan Fisslinger PhD(C)